Why is Okanogan County involved?
- To ensure that local interest are represented in federal recovery plans aimed at delisting species.
- To provide for better use of local resources by integrating regional salmon recovery planning with local planning efforts, including updating Okanogan County's Comprehensive Plan, Shoreline Master Program, and Flood Hazard Management Plan.
- Ensure that local stakeholders have a chance to be heard in the plan's develpoment, and that the plan will be realistic for our County and our region.
- Assist in the development of a document that will be recognized by the federal agencies - NOAA Fisheries and USFWS - and used in making delisting decisions. Recognition that public support will be essential to the success of the plan.
- Consistency with other locally developed plans including watershed plans.
- Help eliminate duplication, overlap and waste of local resources.
The BOCC believes that working with federal agencies is the most responsible use of local resources, and will result in the most positive outcome for local taxpayers.