Public Records Request

What is a Public Record?

A public record is made or received by the county in connection with the transaction of public business. Please read the following Frequently Asked Questions before selecting the Public Records Request button below which will take you to the new web form.

Frequently Asked Questions About Public Records Requests

Do I need to make a public record request?

Maybe, but quite often the answer is No. In many cases, what you want to know is available on our website. If, however, you want identifiable records that include information relating to the conduct of government or the performance of any governmental or proprietary function prepared, owned, used, or retained by us, then Yes, you must make a Public Records Request. Note: This does not include records that are not otherwise required to be retained by the agency and are held by volunteers who: (a) Do not serve in an administrative capacity; (b) Have not been appointed by the agency to an agency board, commission, or internship; and (c) Do not have a supervisory role or delegated agency authority.

Do I have to give you my name and contact information to make a request?

No. However, you must make arrangements to pick up the requested records. If you do not make arrangements to pick up the records, we will be unable to fulfill our legal requirements and your request will be closed in 15 business days.

Do I have to pay for public records?

Maybe. View our Public Records Fees Ordinance 2.88.060 and our Public Records Request Fee Schedule. Note: If we estimate that it will cost more than $25 to fulfill your request, we require a ten (10) percent deposit before starting to work on your request.

Will I get all the public records I request?

Maybe. Washington state law provides exemptions for certain identifiable records. If we are unable to release the requested records, in whole or in part, we will provide you with the legal reasons why.

Where can I learn more about public records requests?

See RCW 42.56 in Washington state law.